765A, 8272 Floppy Disk Controller
- IBM Compatible in Both Single and Double Density Recording Formats
- Programmable Data Record Lengths : 128,256,512, or 1024 Bytes/Sector
- Drive Up to 4 Floppy Disks
- Data Scan Capability - Will Scan a Single Sector or an Entire Cylinder's Worth of Data Fields, Comparing on a Byte by Byte Basics, Data in the Processor's Memory with Data Read from the Diskette
- Data Transfers in DMA or Non-DMA Mode
- Parallel Seek Operations on Up to Four Drives
- Compatible with Most Microprocessors Including 8080A, 8085A, 8086 and 8088.
- Single-Phase 8 MHz Clock
- Single +5 Volt Power Supply
- Available in 40-Pin Plastic Dual-in-line Package
The 8272 is an LSI Floppy Disk Controller (FDC) Chip, WHICH contains the circulty and control functions for interfacing a processor to 4 Floppy Disk Drives. It is capable of supporting either IBM 3740 single density format (FM),or IBM System 34 Double Density format (MFM) including double sided recording. The 8272 provides control signals which simplify the design of an external phase locked loop, and write precompensation circultry. The FDC
simplifies and hanles most of the burdens associated with implementing a Floppy Disk Drive Interface.
Files for download
- i8272.zip 20.3kB (2000-01-21 02:30)
- User manual of Intel 8272 in plain text (MS-DOS frames, page breaks for printing).