Alternative ROM for ZX Spectrum
Here are some alternative ROMs with extra features.
If you know an interesting ROM, please add a note.
EPROM instead of PROM in ZX Spectrum / TC2048
Do you wish to change your BASIC into new one or maybe do
you want to replace NMI handler, add some extra drivers?
How to put own programmed EPROM memory instead of
original 23128 Sinclair ROM / TIMEX ROM?
1. Take out the original 23128 ROM chip from the socket.
2. Buy new DIL 28 (precisional) SOCKET and EPROM (27C128 or
3. Program EPROM with desired ROM image (I use GOSH WONDERFUL
4. Put EPROM chip into new DIL 28 Socket,
but ATTENTION : do not connect pins 1,27,20.
5. Solder new elements ( Shottky diodes and resistors directly
to pins of the new socket and EPROM chip).
6. Put all together (EPROM and new socket) into original ROM socket
down on the ZX Spectrum / Timex board.
Files for download
- gw03.zip 241.1kB (2005-04-10 15:02)
- Gosh Wonderful ROM by Geoff Wearmouth. Fixed bugs, tokenizer, extra commands in REM. Documentation and source included.
- eprom_27128.jpg 26.7kB (2005-04-10 13:54)
- Rewired EPROM in Timex Computer 2048 (by Adam £oboda).
- eprom_instead_of_rom.gif 12.7kB (2005-04-10 13:54)
- Schematics for EPROM by Adam £oboda.
- 80-lec.zip 15.1kB (2000-10-13 13:01)
- Some bug fixes, build-in monitor, support for 32kB upgrade (low 32kB), extended editor with tokenizer. Documentation by Zlejko Juric.
- groot.zip 21.3kB (1994-01-31 12:22)
- Bug fixes, EPSON printer and Z80-PIO support, colors inverted, code for DK'Tronics lightpen. Changes by Henk de Groot. Documentation included.
Links to other pages
- Gosh Wonderful ROM by Geoff Wearmouth. Author's page with Jasper emulator.
- 128KB - 512KB PEROM - FlashD0
- 128KB or 512KB PEROM (or Flash EPROM) for Spectrum compatibile computers. Can support 4MB RAM upgrade and be base for ZXVGS installation.